It’s apple-picking season and this yummy, easy, vegan (if that matters to you), very lightly sweetened dessert is great to make right now with fresh apples from your favorite orchard, farm stand, or farmer’s market. I also like it because it incorporates antioxidant-rich spices and hemp hearts, which have protein and good fat. You can substitute other apples for the golden and honey crisps if you have particular favorites, and while you could peel the apples, you don’t have to. Those skins have good fiber!
- 2 golden apples, diced
- 2 honey crisp apples, diced
- 4 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
For the Crumble
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 4 tablespoon unsweetened coconut
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or ghee
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon hemp hearts
- Non-dairy ice cream or whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the apples, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and allspice.
- Divide this mixture into ramekins or souffle cups.
- Prepare the crumble by placing pecans, almonds, unsweetened coconut, coconut oil, vanilla extract, maple syrup, and hemp hearts in a food processor and pulse until the mixture is sticky.
- Sprinkle the crumble on top of the apple mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown.
- Remove the crisps from the oven and allow to slightly cool before serving.
- For an extra treat, add a dollop of your favorite non-dairy ice cream or whipped cream after the crisps have cooled.